The overnight rains dropped our temps a bit but I think all the extra moisture in the air really ramped up the humidity again. Painted one side of the utility trailer panels this morning but I have a feeling they will be a long time drying. Cleaning windows is not one of my favorite things but with a spare squirt of energy & some half hearted enthusiasm I at least managed to get our living room windows done today.
SLIPPED DOWN TO THE BEACH TONIGHT TO HAVE A LOOK TOWARDS DETROIT WHERE TORNADO WATCHES WERE IN EFFECT
The morning's rain gave me an excuse to make a Jeep run & check for any water leaks in case we had not installed the hard top correctly a few days ago. Everything checked out dry so I chalked that up as an extra bonus for the day.
A fair few bloggers seemed to come down with haircuts this past week or so & this morning I was no exception.
ORDERS FROM HEADQUARTERS came down this morning saying if I did not get a haircut I would not be allowed to leave the house without a bag on my head. I tried on the bag.........& then I got the haircut!! That scared me so bad I figured I had better trim my beard up as well.......................!!
This coming September will mark my third year of blogging & in these past 3 years I have developed some thoughts, ideas & opinions about what I think makes some blogs more readable than others. I am going to go out on a limb here & offer some do's & don'ts as I see it. Most important is to remember these are only my thoughts & my thoughts alone. You may agree with some of them or you may not & there is nothing personal here. Everyone sees things differently & I am certainly no expert on blogging but here goes my thoughts anyway.
- Do not put music on your blog. It is annoying!! If you insist on music then offer it as an option. Put a button at the top of your blog which people can click on if they really want to hear your most favorite song of all times. Some people put in a video option but the key word there is 'option.' Do not make it a default video that people have to sit through. Same thing with 'Slide Shows.' Remember, there are still a lot of internet folks out here with slow internet speeds plus all the Air Card people with their 5 Gig limits. That audio visual stuff just totally chews up download times & bandwidth.
- Don't load your site with aggravating advertising, regardless of how much you think you need the .49 cents a month extra income. If I click on a site that is loaded with stationary or pop up advertising I immediately pop right out of there & I do not return. I have seen blogs so full of advertising that it was hard to find the actual post itself.
- Try not to fall into the rut of starting your blog off everyday with the same words & morning routines you used the day before or the day before that, or...... Be creative. You do not have to start your blog from the very beginning moments of awakening. The blog does not have to have a standard beginning or ending. Again, be creative & think outside the box. Start each day from a different perspective. In any book, that first paragraph can make or break the reader's interest in the rest of the story!! I had to drop a blog last summer because after about 3 months I could not get past the first paragraph anymore because of basically the same routine every morning. Nice people I'm sure but after awhile I just referred to it as, 'the coffee blog' & moved on.
- Stay away from all that glitz, glamour & glitter stuff. Dancing bears, frolicking flamingos, Las Vegas billboard lights, reams of happy faces & flying Brazilian billboards proclaiming that you, 'Have A Nice Day!!'
- Some bloggers promote their blog sites by encouraging people to leave comments or join their Followers lists. Nothing wrong with that of course & we all look forward to comments & Followers but it's just not in my nature to do that despite my 'Followers' list being dead in the water for the past couple months.
- Do not ramble on with long drawn out blogs like I do. Make them shorter & keep them interesting. And yes, I know my blog photos are too big.
- Write your post in short paragraphs & avoid running your whole blog into one long rambling hard to read blonk. I used to do that until a reader straightened me out.
- Try to vary your blog topics every day & avoid getting tunneled into the same project, mood or subject matter over & over. In other words, keep people guessing about what your next post is going to be about. Make tomorrow's post different from today's.
- A step by step, blow by blow description of a button factory tour can get pretty dry pretty quick. Add a link to the button factory & let the reader click on that if he wants' to know how many colored buttons are sewn backwards onto a checkerboard jelly bean shirt on assembly line B.
- Remember to add your thoughts, feelings, & opinions about what you are seeing & doing when traveling. Not just, "well, then we went to Bill's Bargain Mart & I got a fly swatter & then we drove to Ambercrombieville & Hank got an ice cream cone with birdseed sprinkles on it & then we decided it was time to go home so we went home & George drove the car but not too fast because we met Sally & Mike and Wally & Rita and Bert and Ernie and Dorothy & Jim and Rosie & Rufus and, and, and, and, etc. etc. etc!! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz:(( Be creative & use your imagination. Throw in some humor, add some feelings. Again, get yourself outside the box & push some boundaries.
- Don't do as I have done in the past by poo pooing certain areas of the country or States just because they are not in MY area of interest. Be understanding & considerate of other people's choice of RV vehicles or style of RVing. Because you don't agree with or care for things does not mean you have to put it in your blog. Some things are best left un-said. Trust me on this one folks.....I know what I am talking about:))
- If you must take a fellow blogger to task over something, do it in a private email & not in your blog.
- Be creative with your comments on other people's blogs. Make them original, personal & heartfelt.
- Don't write a few lines, publish it & then come back a few hours later & do the same thing. This is a supposedly clever method used by some to keep people coming back again & again clicking on their site maybe 5 or 6 times a day & that way increasing the numbers & advertising revenues on that particular blog. Again, probably nothing wrong with that except to me it is putting the advertising dollars first instead of the readers. Not in my nature to do that.
- Keep your blog printing font size on the large side. Not everyone has eagle eye vision anymore. And don't let your font color bleed into your background color making it nearly invisible.
- And remember, our blogs are mainly geared to the RV Lifestyle & related matters. They are not a platform for political or religious views & bellowing!! If you want to do that, start up a second blog & target those particular markets accordingly.....and good luck!!
Well, there you have it, I am all thought out for another day. Just wanted to share a few opinions on blogging with the hopes I may have said something here that may help someone. At least get people thinking. More likely enough fodder to get myself into trouble again though. Oh well, just remember, there are no hard & fast rules for bloggers......just opinions................................ Toodles:))
GROANER'S CORNER:(( Just heard about an 83 year old woman who talked herself out of a speeding ticket by telling the young police officer that she had to get there before she forgot where she was going.
Makes perfectly good sense to me.....
Tourists see the world, travelers experience it.
"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UN-AWAKENED"
OUR BLOGGER WEBSITE http://thebayfieldbunch.com/
OUR PHOTO ALBUMS http://picasaweb.google.com/stargeezerguy/
AL'S SMUG MUG PHOTO GALLERY http://stargeezer.smugmug.com/ (a work in progress)
The only thing better than right now will someday be the memories of right now...... AL.